Sunday 25 December 2011

Life changes...

Hey everyone, I've wanted to start blogging for a while but I've never really got round to it so this is my attempt at it. Allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Nicole and I am 17 years old. On the outside I am your average teenage girl: flirtaous, outgoing and fun but the inside is the opposite story. I suffer from two life threatning condition which come hand and hand with each other really. Anaphylaxis- or to put it into simple terms severe life threatning allergies and also severe asthma. However I've not always had this.

As a child I had a normal childhood, age fifteen I was rushed to hospital unable to breathe properly, after a five day stay in hospital I was diagnosed with asthma and put on medication to try and control it. After months of struggle with hospital admissions due to my asthma I finally began to get my life back on track again my asthma better controlled. My life changed dramatically again at age 16.

Let me put this question to you.

You are sitting, minding your own buisness, eating a nut sundae ice-cream which you'd eaten many times before, you'd be thinking nothing could go wrong right? Yeah that's what I though too, up until my face, toungue and throat began to swell up and I couldn't breathe. Phoning nhs24 I was told to administer an injection of adrenaline (which lucky enough I had in my house) and wait for an ambulance. I was not too keen about the thought of injecting myself with adrenaline...I hated needles with a passion and cried so much whenever I needed to get one. It was however life or death and I had no choice. Administering the adrenaline I had to wait for the ambulance. I was taken to the hospital where I was diagnosed with a fatal nut allergy and told to avoid nuts.

It sounds easier said than done if I am honest. In the past year and a half my list of allergies has grown in number.

I am severely allergic to: Latex, most nuts, ginger, pears, maple syrup, shellfish, penicillin, clarithyromycin, ibroprofen, aspirin and tramadol. It is in reality a lot easier said than done trying to avoid all of those things.

I found out my number of hospital admissions between anaphyalxis and asthma...28 this year, two of which were on my holiday to London.

That's another thing about me, I can no longer go abroad. My 2009 family holiday to Florida was ruined after I developed severe asthma symptoms and 911 had to be called. My family holiday to Florida in 2010 was ruined due to two seperate admissions for anaphylaxis. My 2011 holiday to London was ruined after two admissions to hospital with a chest infection.

Stay tuned to my blog for more :) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment